Welcome to Pretty Place! YOU could get married right here! More information below.
A few things to know ...
- It is located in Cleveland, South Carolina and the view is of the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina.
- The official name of the chapel is "Symmes Chapel" but locals know it simply as "Pretty Place".
- The chapel was constructed in 1941.
- It is frequently used as a wedding venue
- It is on private property, owned by the YMCA
- It is open to the public when not in use
- Weather is unpredictable! We met a couple who said the weather was so cold that they did their vows in the bathrooms at the back of the chapel. True story. Always check the weather before you go.
- Your best chance of visiting is during the week rather than weekend and to get there at sunrise. The gates are locked until about 6:30 am.
- Check the event schedule before you go or you might not be able to get in! Event Schedule Here
It took me roughly 25 visits to capture this photo. That means driving up the winding mountain road with fingers crossed that the weather would be cooperative and accurate.
We regularly hear from people about their connections to this photo. Some see angels in it, others say their loved ones found peace in it. We have had brides cry upon seeing it, remembering how incredible their own wedding day at Pretty Place was. We are grateful that so many people share their stories about Pretty Place with us and while they sometimes stare in awe at the photo, I stare in awe at their eyes, knowing that they are not merely looking at a picture -- but having an experience, through photography. I am grateful to have captured this beautiful spot the way I was able to and that I can share it with others.
If you are interested in visiting Pretty Place, below is a map and directions. If you are interested in purchasing a copy of the photograph I created, that link is also below.
Map & Directions